Friday, August 29, 2008

First Boot Completed by Artist Heather Bryson

Here are some photos of the first boot thats been finished by one of the artists that I've been delivering them to.

Heather's turned out great and is currently on view at Moore College. You can see more of Heather's work on her website at



Big thanks to Terri Saulin, who is also a participating artist in the project, for the photos!

Casting...times 12.

So after a crazy demold off the clay original, we set the mold up to cast into it. Since we used Poly 74-29 rubber for the mold, we needed to coat the surface of the mold with a resin called Poly Coat. This protects the surface of the mold from being scorched by the heat of the plastic we use. Since we've been so busy when casting I don't have any photos of that process...yet. Buuuuuttttttt since we're doing it 12 times I think I'll still have some time to catch it. (We're almost done #7...whew!)

Anyway, in the meantime, here are some pictures of the finished boot:

Aug 232


Aug 234


Aug 005

Justin has been most entertaining throughout the whole project, making sure to throw and wave around various items emphatically.

Aug 014

Ready for delivery...

Long Overdue Update

Ok so I've been working my butt off to get the boots done and have hardly had time to take photos, let alone post them on here, but now I have some moments and want to get atleast somewhat up to speed.

Here's where we left off...

Finished Mold:

Aug 173

Here's the mold after we added conduit to each piece. This helps in 2 ways: It acts as a reinforcement for each piece, adding rigidity and also doubles as a handle, which is greatly needed when demolding the piece.

Aug 175

Close-up of the handles.

Aug 197

We then drilled holes around every edge of the piece, about 12 - 16 inches apart so we could bolt it back together later on.

Aug 204

Me with finished mold just prior to demolding. (There is video of the demolding and I'll get that together at some point and put it up on here.)

Aug 213

The mold pieces.

Aug 215

On piece if the rubber not supported by the mother mold. I had to scrub the rubber was terrible. I vote no to using shellac on clay. Do what you will Ron Mueck but I stand by my choice.

Aug 222

After putting vaseline on the plaster mother mold, we put the rubber back into the mother mold to get ready for the casting process.

Aug 241

The original clay boot.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Most Amazing People Ever


This goes out to the amazing friends ever, who have been working with me for the past two nights on casting the giant boot. Adam, Savannah, Hibbard, Patrick, Aubrie, Tim, Nora and Homer, you guys are amazing. I can't thank you enough.

Most process photos coming soon!