Saturday, November 8, 2008

Darla Jackson Sculpture 3.0

Wow it's been a long time since I posted anything! Sorry for being lame....but in my defense, here's what I've been up to:
1. Finished the boot project....Woo hoo! For anyone who doesn't know, this entailed sculpting a 6 foot high Victorian boot, making a mold of it, and casting 12 of them in polyurethane plastic....Yowza. They were all delivered to Moore alumni for them to paint, embellish, design and alter. I did one with The Other Woman Collective, the art collective I am co-founder of with 3 fabulous other ladies.
Here's a photo of ours finished:

It is now at The Kimmel Center until May 2009 (!!) so go see it!

And while I'm still waiting on my photos from the opening at Moore, where all 12 finished boots were shown together, here is a photo of the first 6 that were finished:

They all came out amazing. Kudos to all the ladies who worked on them!
And I will definitely post more photos when I get them!

2. I left my full time job to have more time for making art. While I'm still working part time, having 2 extra days per week to work on sculpture is amazing. Scary but amazing.
And I have a wonderful new addition to the studio....Katie Brown, my intern! Yesterday was her first day and we carved foam for some new sculptures I am working on, which was awesome....more on that to come!

Other than the above two things, I've just been trying to get my ducks in a row and sort out my life after a crazy, boot filled summer. I've got some shows coming up and some new work on the way...life is good.

PS- No idea why all the photos below disappeared....I got a new website and think that has something to do with it, since all the photos were linked to the old one....will fix it one day, I promise...

No comments: